Busy Bee

Vienna was amazing. If you really want to see bourgeois Europe in the flesh you must stroll down centreville in Vienna and see the old ladies walking in their long mink coats and pearls as if Sissi were still in the Castle and the Tsar were still alive. The buildings are just lovely, so much culture you just cannot absorb it all. And yet the city is small, perfect. As a history freak I stood in front of the Library balcony for ages – because Hitler announced the Anschluss there.

As a food lover, there are several heavenly things that must be tried. First, the pastry shop that prepared desserts for Sissi. Second, the worldwide patented chocolate cake at the Sacher Hotel of Vienna. Third, the schnitzel! The Opera is a once in a lifetime experience, 4 Euros and you get a spot (standing up) to watch world class famous pieces, I was lucky enough to watch Anna Karennina. Bottom line, go to Vienna; it’s all they say it is.

IMG_2592IMG_2606

As classes resume we are quickly pulled into the routine of classes, work, and Ciel (:s). The firs Friday we Malou resumed her cultural calendar and we went to a small Strasbourg theater called Le Kafteur to experience French stand-up comedy for the first time. It was funnier than stand-up comedy in New York, for me anyhow. This past weekend was PACKED with activities. Friday was an afternoon at the Musée Historique de Strasbourg, quite fun. I was reminded once again how unique Strasbourg is, from free city to French, to German, to French…etc. The Museum was very modern and they let us try on medieval helmets on!

Saturday, oh my God. I skied for the first time in my life. What can I say? I am a bathing suit girl. It was not downhill skiing so I fell only once. It was not as horrible as I’d expected, once you begin sweating inside your suit and you feel your fingers again it’s all good. So we only skied for 7.5 kilometers, but I think that was my week’s worth of exercise right there. It was a very nice experience, impossible to achieve without Malou because she was literally babysitting me the whole time. Once we reached the end, HOT WINE!!!! Yes, Europe is nice :p

To be continued….

One Reply to “Busy Bee”

1. Pingback: DANA