« Faites de Beaux Rêves »

My host mother tells me this expression almost every night, little did I know that I would one day actually have an AMAZING dream.

They say that when you dream in a language, it means that that language officially makes part of your subconscious and that your brain is beginning to systematically think in that language. Well, ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in my life I had a dream in French. I remember the first time I had a dream in English, though I have spoken the language since childhood I’d never actually dreamt in English until a few years back. I was terrified. I woke up freaked out because to me it meant I was betraying my mother tongue.

But dreaming in French, WOW. For someone who is craving the fluency of the language as much as I am, that is good news. Of course, the actual dream was unimportant: a simple conversation with my host mom and host brother during breakfast. The important thing is that it was in French, and I didn’t notice it until I was telling my host sister about the conversation and she brought the fact that it was in French to my attention. “Ça y est!,” replied my host mom when we told her the amazing event. So there you go, three months into my French life and I’m dreaming in French. Happy happy happy.

So last Sunday I had my first Sortie Scout, I officially exerted my function as Cheftaine for a whole 22 French louvettes from 9h to 16h of my Sunday. Never mind that fact that yes, I had to wake up early on a Sunday; and yes, I had to cook 1 kg. of pasta the previous day; and yes, I had to wear a uniform that reminds me of my elementary school days with the skirt above my belly bottom. Regardless, it was an amazing day.

The sortie is always composed of mass, lunch, a game, and snacks. So we walked to a park after mass and we cooked with a fire that WE made, well, not me really, then we played an amazing game where the girls learned the values of teamwork through various challenges. It was so amazing to see these 8-11 year olds assembling wood, cutting tomatoes, teaching each other what need to be done to win. The little louvette looks up to the big louvette and the big louvettes all jumped on top of me asking me questions of all sorts. It was a cheerful day; it was worth getting up for.

I must now study for my exam tomorrow, yes, believe it or not, I have an exam. God help me.

A la prochaine!

One Reply to “« Faites de Beaux Rêves »”

1. Pingback: MAX